[X] Close
You are about to erase all the values you have customized, search history, page format, etc.
Click here to RESET all values       Click here to GO BACK without resetting any value
Item 1 of about 1
1. Yanagihara TK, Ibrahimiye A, Harris C, Hirsch J, Gorenstein LA: Analysis of clamping versus cutting of T3 sympathetic nerve for severe palmar hyperhidrosis. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg; 2010 Nov;140(5):984-9

  • [Source] The source of this record is MEDLINE®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine.
  • [Title] Analysis of clamping versus cutting of T3 sympathetic nerve for severe palmar hyperhidrosis.
  • OBJECTIVES: Endoscopic thoracic sympathectomy can predictably eliminate the disabling symptoms of palmar hyperhidrosis.
  • Debate has ensued over competing techniques, in particular, cutting versus clamping of the sympathetic chain.
  • We subjectively assessed the sweat severity in different areas of the body and evaluated changes in the quality of life in patients undergoing either the cutting or clamping technique.
  • METHODS: Patients examined between June 2003 and March 2007 were asked to quantify the severity of their symptoms before and after endoscopic thoracic sympathectomy.
  • The interviews were conducted approximately 1 year after the procedure.
  • Only the patients undergoing sympathectomy at the T3 level for a chief complaint of palmar hyperhidrosis were included in the analysis (n = 152).
  • In 45% of these patients, clamping of the sympathetic chain was performed, and the remaining 55% had the chain cut.
  • RESULTS: After surgery, no patients had continued excessive sweating of the hands.
  • Of all the patients, 95% were satisfied with the results after the cutting procedure and 97% were satisfied after clamping.
  • No difference was seen in any outcome between the patients undergoing clamping versus cutting of the sympathetic chain, including sweating on the hands, face, armpits, feet, trunk, and thighs or in the quality of life.
  • CONCLUSIONS: We found high rates of success and patient satisfaction when T3 sympathectomy was performed for palmar hyperhidrosis, with no differences found between the cutting and clamping techniques.
  • [MeSH-major] Hand / innervation. Hyperhidrosis / surgery. Sweating. Sympathectomy / methods. Thoracoscopy
  • [MeSH-minor] Adolescent. Adult. Child. Constriction. Female. Humans. Male. Middle Aged. Patient Satisfaction. Quality of Life. Severity of Illness Index. Surveys and Questionnaires. Time Factors. Treatment Outcome. Young Adult

  • [Email] Email this result item
    Email the results to the following email address:   [X] Close
  • [Copyright] Published by Mosby, Inc.
  • [Cites] J Vasc Surg. 2002 Feb;35(2):382-6 [11854739.001]
  • [Cites] Surg Endosc. 2006 Nov;20(11):1749-53 [17024534.001]
  • [Cites] J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2009 Sep;138(3):581-5 [19698838.001]
  • [Cites] Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech. 2008 Oct;18(5):469-73 [18936668.001]
  • [Cites] Acta Neurol Scand. 2008 Apr;117(4):279-84 [17949455.001]
  • [Cites] Ann Thorac Surg. 2007 Oct;84(4):1422 [17889025.001]
  • [Cites] J Am Acad Dermatol. 2007 Apr;56(4):604-11 [17306417.001]
  • [Cites] Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech. 2002 Aug;12(4):255-67 [12193821.001]
  • [Cites] Ann Thorac Surg. 2006 Apr;81(4):1227-32; discussion 1232-3 [16564248.001]
  • [Cites] Int Surg. 2004 Oct-Dec;89(4):198-201 [15730099.001]
  • [Cites] Eur J Surg Suppl. 1998;(580):13-6 [9641378.001]
  • [Cites] J Clin Psychiatry. 1994 Aug;55(8):322-31 [8071299.001]
  • [Cites] Ann Surg. 1977 Jul;186(1):34-41 [879872.001]
  • [Cites] Ann Thorac Surg. 2003 Dec;76(6):1878-83 [14667604.001]
  • [Cites] Ann Thorac Surg. 2003 Sep;76(3):886-91 [12963223.001]
  • (PMID = 20951250.001).
  • [ISSN] 1097-685X
  • [Journal-full-title] The Journal of thoracic and cardiovascular surgery
  • [ISO-abbreviation] J. Thorac. Cardiovasc. Surg.
  • [Language] eng
  • [Grant] United States / NIGMS NIH HHS / GM / T32 GM007367
  • [Publication-type] Comparative Study; Journal Article
  • [Publication-country] United States
  • [Other-IDs] NLM/ NIHMS240005; NLM/ PMC2964926
  •  go-up   go-down


Advertisement





Advertisement